Monday 30 January 2012

Important lesson - keep your receipts!!!

Hey,


It is SO important to keep your receipts when you go shopping and I'm going to share a story with you about what happened to me today. Don't worry, it's got a good ending :).

When I went to Melbourne last year in September, I bought two bags from Myer. One was by Wayne Cooper and the other one (below) was a black satchel bag by Ooh La La.


I actually really liked the bag because it was cute and convenient with both a short and long strap so I could either hang it on my elbow or carry it like a satchel. Sadly, after about 5 days of carrying the bag, the stitching on the satchel strap came off! I didn't have anything particularly heavy in the bag either. It was just the standard stuff like wallet, phone, bottle of water, lipstick, lipgloss, tissues, face powder etc but nothing extremely heavy. Thank goodness I kept the receipt!


So then I took it to the Myer in the city and asked to exchange it but they didn't have the black one anymore so I settled for a beige version of the bag but still the same bag design.

I actually didn't use the exchanged bag until a week ago and yesterday, I noticed the stitching on the satchel strap was coming off again! Thank goodness again that I had kept the receipt after the exchange in case the same thing happened again which it did.

My boyfriend actually said to me that I might not be able to get an exchange or refund because it's been about 5 months since the exchange but I've studied consumer law and I knew that I would definitely be able to exchange or refund because the bag was faulty. Those in Australia should go and have a look at www.accc.gov.au which has a lot of information about consumer rights and it is really useful information. I first learnt about the ACCC and their website in my Business Law units at uni and I have been interested ever since.

Back to the story, I went into the Myer store today and the lady was really nice about the whole thing and I got a refund which I'm really happy with because I wasn't really prepared to exchange for the same bag again >.< I mean Ooh La La is a really good brand and they always bring out cute and affordable bags and I personally have never had a problem with their bags but I think that it was just this line of bags that were faulty.

Anyway, the point of my story is that it's important to keep your receipts for anything you purchase because you never know when you might realise that it's faulty and you need to exchange it or get a refund. If I didn't have my receipt today, I wouldn't have gotten a refund because I wouldn't have been able to prove that I had bought it from Myer.

I keep my receipts for expensive items I buy so for example shoes, bags, wallets, clothes, electronics, appliances etc. The ink does fade off receipts eventually so what I suggest is to photocopy the receipt and then just staple the actual receipt to the photocopied one. This way, faded receipts will no longer be a problem.

Hope you guys learnt something from this post. Goodnight ^_^

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment